Friday 27 January 2012

SYL #3 - Our Family Mission Statement

As with the first two challenges we've been set in the 52 Weeks to Simplify Your Life SYL12, I've found the task of creating a family mission statement not as easy as I thought it would be! As with my values, I'm not confident to commit to a mission statement as I feel like I could come back to it almost on a daily basis and change it. Eeeek! Am I THAT changeable?! What is going on with me?! This whole challenge is really making me sit up and take notice of myself. I thought I was pretty aware of myself (especially the bits I don't like!) however this challenge is stirring up some stuff for me ...... or is it that I'm approaching 40? Hmmmm...... Perhaps it's a bit of both.

So. Our family mission statement, what I want for my family, our 'vibe', the way we do things. The problem with this is, will I be able to live up to it? Yes, I am sad to admit that I think I'm the weakest link. I think I'm the one letting the team down. This is a hard pill to swallow. Or am I, as a girlfriend told me today (and I've heard many times before), WAY too hard on myself? I hope it's the latter.

I've chosen to make our mission statement in the present tense as I feel that will encourage us to live this mission statement now, not some day in the future. So here goes.......

We laugh often and always see the funny side of life
We respect each other's individuality and allow each other to be all we can be
We are polite to each other and listen to each other's opinions
We support each other and accept that we are perfectly imperfect
We always do the best we can for ourselves, our family, our community and our planet
We are honest, kind, generous, compassionate, helpful, fun and awesome! (That last one is my husband's contribution!)
We enjoy a healthy lifestyle with nutritious food, exercise and time for individual passions
We appreciate each day together and freely offer hugs, kisses and the words 'I love you'

And as I suspected, I have a LOT of work to do to live up to this. I'm up for the challenge.

I am sad to say that there wasn't much collaboration with my husband to create 'our' mission statement. This was my fault, not his. We've lost our way a little and that's mostly my fault. I've realised I really don't collaborate with my husband on anything much at all really. All the criticisms I throw at him (either verbally or in my head) are really criticisms of myself........... I really need to 'change the channel' in my head.........



No comments:

Post a Comment